Finally posting my first recipe!! The zucchini crop has been abundant this year – how to get rid of it all? Well, here’s a nice alternative to the ubiquitous zucchini bread: Lemon Zucchini Cookies!
Eat your veggies, right? Love that.
Lemon Zucchini Cookies
Makes approx. 40 2-inch cookies
Dry ingredients: ½ cup sorghum flour
½ cup chickpea flour
½ cup potato starch
½ cup raw pumpkin seeds, ground*
1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
Wet ingredients: 2 Tablespoons finely-ground golden flaxseed
¼ cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ cup grated zucchini
½ cup palm fruit oil
2 Tablespoons lemon zest (about 2 medium-sized lemons)
Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the flaxseed and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Set aside.
4. Place the granulated sugar, grated zucchini, palm fruit oil, lemon zest and flaxseed mixture in a large bowl.
5. Blend the wet ingredients well using a mixer.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
7. Using a mini scooper, portion cookies onto cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
8. Bake for 15 minutes or until the bottoms begin to brown slightly. Cool at least five minutes before removing from the baking sheet.
9. When completely cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
10. Hide a few for yourself. Put the rest on the cookie platter…these cakey darlings disappear fast!
NOTE: This dough is quite moist and sticky – using a mini scooper will make the scooping process quicker and easier. Also, you must use parchment paper or you will be scraping the cookies off of the pan with pessimistic results – even non-stick pans.
* You can grind the RAW pumpkin seeds in a coffee grinder – make sure they are not roasted, especially with oil, or that will probably be the end of your machine. I use a Vitamix.